Sunday, April 21, 2013

2013 FBB Recap: Fantasy Player of the Year and 5 Resolutions for FBB 2014



The 2013 fantasy basketball season is over, and I didn't win. Is my existence now worthless?

Possibly.


In the finale of the fantasy bball season, I lost by a hundred to the OKC Tornadoes, 1547-1445. It was my first year in fantasy basketball, and I honestly thought I may have a fighting chance. Alas, I could have made it more interesting, but players sitting out and injuries hampered the type of play I would have needed to make a strong comeback. I finished 2nd in both my friendly H2H Bootsy Collins League and my roto league, New World Order.

Ultimately, our friendly league was ubercompetitive, which made the finals series a hysterical and outrageous event. After the first day, it was apparent that we both knew the gig. As soon as the first games for that day started, free agents were swooped up for the next day in a mad rush. Sometimes, in the frenzy of picking replacement players, my opponent would pick one up right as I was about to pick them. But for the most part we usually had separate picks, which cleaned out the free agent list quite quickly. It was incredibly exciting!

I was ahead by ten when my players started to not perform. On day 7, Kenneth Faried gets hurt and goes for -1 pts. Day 8, D-Will doesn't get any playing time for Brooklyn. Day 9, Aaron Gray sits while Jonas Valanciunas starts. And on the final day of games, I put all my chips in on Joakim Noah, only to see him net  1 pt.

Yes, the end to my fantasy bball season was not what I had wanted, but it was very, very close. I learned a lot this year, and much like my fantasy football recap, this bball one has my 5 resolutions for next year:

1) Always Pick the Stars--this is something that is hard to stick by in my situation. But countless times I would find myself putting all my faith in a young guy who had been streaking. Some, like John Henson and Tobias Harris, paid off while others, like Aaron Gray and Nazr Mohammed, straight train wrecked me. Going with the stud, especially down the stretch may be the difference between winning and losing. Caron Butler finally showed up the last game of the season (his crazy eye is alleged to have helped play a part in the peak performance), as did Rashard Lewis. Trust the famous players.
Butler and his crazy eye.

2) Check Last Minute Injury Reports--I got screwed on this quite a bit. I guess it would help to check before the first game of the night begins. But I ride carpool from work.



3) Don't Be Afraid to Draft Dwight Howard--old man back or not, Dwight has killed it this year and turned in the second best performance of the year, next to David Lee of the Golden State Warriors, averaging 36 mins, 12. 5 boards, 2.5 blocks, and 17 pts a game. There's no word yet as to if he'll stay in the city of angels, but wherever he goes, he has proven that he still has the all-star ability that made him such a hot commodity while in Orlando.


4) Shoot for 200--with any typical 7-day H2H schedule, 200 points is a solid goal for any one day of games. If you can accumulate 200 points per day, you will win every time. I scored over 200 pts/day a total of 16 times out of 23 weeks of play. In the regular season, I was 7-2 when I had scored at least 200 pts in one day, and 2-1 in the playoffs when I reached the 200 pt mark. In match ups during the regular season where I scored 200 pts or more twice in a week of games, I was 2-0.


5) Don't Mess with Neptune Nightmares--


Fantasy Basketball Player of the Year: 
This year, the fantasy bball player of the Year Award was a battle between two men: LeBron James and Kevin Durant. Only 5 fantasy points separated the two this year, and for many, they are equally as talented in different areas. Durant is cool and tends to make finesse plays and big outside jumpers, whereas James is now almost exclusively working in the paint. James and Durant are the most dominant players int he league, real or fantasy, and it's awesome having them on different coasts!

LeBron James-East
Kevin Durant-West

Overall: 

For me, my MVP was Stephen Curry. He finished 16th overall in the fantasy scoring race, and he ended up being my most solid pick. Thank God he was able to play 78 games, too! That really, really saved me this season. He led the Warriors with 38 mins, 3.5 three-pointers, 4 reb, 7 ast, and 23 pts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment