Sunday, March 24, 2013

Wow, March Madness Pisses You Off! FBB-wk 20


Well, my bracket's fucked.
But whose isn't? 

According to Docsports.com, the odds of achieving a perfect March Madness bracket are one in 9,223,372,036,854,775,808. That's 9.2 quintillion for us normal folk. So, what's the best strategy?

Apparently none. My girlfriend is currently tied with me on ESPN's Tournament Challenge, yet she still has all of her Final Four teams in play. She picked her teams based upon weird school names (Gonzaga just went down) and team colors (Ohio State's red and grey are apparently regal).

In my research, it appears that no one has ever had a perfect bracket (obviously, this is only since the digital age, when ESPN and CBS started national tournaments online). But at least I'm able to beat some of the senior citizen ladies in my work league. 

Honestly, I fill out about 5 brackets each year in the same way I would play the lottery. You can't win if you don't play, but winning seems like such a ridiculous proposition. Most of my March Madness is consumed with keeping up with the amount of missed picks I've made.

For me, New Mexico and Wisconsin losing were probably my biggest shocks. The West region is unbelievable! Harvard, Wichita State, La Salle, and Ole Miss have trampled through most people's brackets, hacking them up til there is nothing but red marks in the West region. I didn't get to see much of the Lobos this year, but I had a lot of faith in them, based upon recent analysis. 

Speaking of shocked, Wichita State has already beat Pitt and Gonzaga. I hate Ole Miss for one reason, Marshall Henderson. Don't get me wrong, I looooooovvvee to party, but when you tweet pics of yourself drunk after winning, you're just begging teams to put it on the bulletin board and hand you a 6-pack after they whoop your ass.

He seems like the kinda teammate you tolerate during games and avoid afterward. Apparently, he has a better shooting percentage at beer pong than he does three pointers. But that's a 12-foot differential, so totally understandable. 

On the opposite end of the spectrum, when teams do lose, there's a lot of water works. I just watched Kraft drain a last second three to down the Iowa State Hoibergs. They were crying before the final whistle blew! (Somewhat reminiscent of Gonzaga's Adam Morrison in 2006).  

So, I've officially reached the point where success is futile, and I'm watching the games in a vain attempt to just get one or two right.

Bragging rights are seriously on the line though. Maybe I should start filling out women's tournament brackets...

Wait, there's a women's tournament? 

No comments:

Post a Comment